Assistive Devices Program

Through the Assistive Devices Program (ADP), The government of Ontario helps people with long-term physical disabilities pay for customized equipment, like rollators and compression garments.

How much is covered?

The government covers 75% of the cost for equipment and supplies. For these items, the government is billed directly by the supplier and you pay 25% when you buy the item.

What is the equipment that you are authorized to do the application for?

Compression garments for Lymphedema management.

What kind of pressure modification devices are covered by the Assistive Devices Program (ADP)?

Pressure garments and custom fabricated orthoses for the management of hypertrophic scars

Compression garments and sleeves for chronic lymphedema

Sequential extremity pumps and accessories for primary lymphedema

What kind of pressure modification devices are not covered by ADP?

Pressure modification devices:

purchased from non-ADP registered vendors

used for post-operative use or any use for less than six months duration

required for acute physical conditions

required for venous insufficiency or thrombo- embolosis

implanted or inserted into the body

Treatment modalities:

Pressure inserts, silastic elastomers and dressings for hypertrophic scar management or vascular conditions. 

Elasticized wraps and bandages

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Who can apply?

Any permanent resident of Ontario who has a valid Ontario Health card issued in their name, and has a chronic physical disability requiring the use of a pressure modification device for a minimum of six months.

ADP does not pay for equipment available under Workplace Safety & Insurance Board or to Group “A” Veterans for their pensioned conditions.

Who can sign my application form?

You are required to sign the application form. If you are unable to sign, someone who has the legal authority to act on your behalf may do so. This may be your spouse, parent, child or power of attorney.

How do I apply?

For first access, all applicants must be examined by a specialist physician.

Specialist physicians for hypertrophic scar management include plastic surgeons, physiatrists and general surgeons. The physician will be a member of an ADP registered burn team.

Specialist physicians for lymphedema compression devices include vascular surgeons, plastic surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, internal medicine specialists, paediatricians, physiatrists, orthopaedic surgeons, general surgeons, gynecologic oncologists, cardiovascular surgeons, general practitioners in oncology, wound care specialists and dermatologists with applicable experience.

If applying for funding for a sequential extremity pump, the specialist physician will be a member of an ADP registered lymphedema team.

 What will happen next?

Your specialist physician will refer you to a health professional registered with ADP as an authorizer. The authorizer will complete an assessment to determine your eligibility and the type of device you require.

Anshul at Physio Care is an authorized Physiotherapist to complete the ADP application for people who need them.

We will refer you to an ADP registered vendor, where a certified fitter who is registered with the ADP will measure you and order the device(s) that you require. In some situations, we may do the measuring and ordering of the device(s). The certified fitter or authorizer will provide education about the use and care of the device(s).

 How long will it take for ADP to review my application?

6-8 weeks.

How much money does ADP contribute?

ADP pays 75% of the ADP approved price to the registered vendor. You pay the remaining 25%. If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), ADP may pay 100 per cent of the ADP approved price.

Does this mean that ADP will pay 100% of my costs for the Pressure modification Devices?

Not necessarily. You must pay the vendor directly for any options not funded by ADP that you may choose to purchase for your garments. Be sure to ask your vendor how much of the total cost you will be responsible for.

What if I purchase my Pressure Modification Devices before I receive ADP approval?

ADP will only pay the amount approved after the date of approval. If you ask your vendor to order your devices before ADP approves funding, you will be responsible for paying the full amount to the vendor if ADP cannot approve your application.

Is there a warranty for my device?

The ADP Registered Vendor must warrant the device against breakage and/or tearing. There is a specific warranty for each type of device. Speak to the authorizer and/or vendor for details.

What if I have more questions about ADP?

To get more information with respect to the ADP assessment and application please contact us.

Scroll to Top